"A very Merry Unbirthday to you, to you. A very Merry Unbirthday to you." from Walt Disney's Alice in Wonderland"

Sunday, June 4, 2017

A Long Due Post


I'm enjoying making the blocks for the Civil War sampler quilt, Rest and Refreshing, that Piecing the Past is offering.  These are my blocks so far.  The top left block is my second attempt and this one came out perfect.  We were told the blocks would get successively difficult, and I'm finding that's true.  What I appreciate and like about Piecing the Past's qal is that upfront you have the option of downloading some info on how to have a good outcome when making the blocks.  I've signed up for their Summer Picnic qal which will begin in a few weeks.  


 These are the Moda Block Head blocks that I've made  I skipped two blocks.  One because after 2 attempts it still had margin quarter inch issues and one because I didn't like the block. I love the applique blocks which surprises me because I usually prefer piecing.  The green basket in the second row came out super; I used the dryer sheet lining method which works well for me then hand sewed it to the background.  I can't do needle turn; the red basket was that attempt and it's pretty wonky.
 Because I skipped 2 blocks, I made these alternates.  The two left blocks were given by the Moda designer.  The top right I found online and the bottom right is one of the designer's mistakes that I liked.  I've never made a bow tie block before but I love it.  Like the log cabin it has versatility.  Many of the traditional blocks are like that., I find.


I made a doll outfit for my sister's youngest grand.  She's 5 and has asked me to make her wedding gown. I said yes, of course, but I'll be in my eighties if the big day happens in 20 years or so.  If I'm still kicking then I hope I can still see to find my sewing machine.  Isn't that too cute!

My girl Moxie is getting older and feistier.  

Have a wonderful week ahead. 
God Bless.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you're keeping busy. I love the doll clothes. I guess some cats are just like some people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blocks and the doll's clothes are very cute. Picasso like Moxie is getting older and spends lots of time asleep but is in the thick of any altercation. We have some new younger cats who've moved into the area and they 's still the boss.have learnt that Picasso may be old but he

    ReplyDelete
  3. All those blocks are coming along well & like you I'm rubbish at needleturn. I pull it too tight, I think, & get lots of puckering. I think playing with traditional blocks is like playing with puzzles & try to find the "what if" when I move, recolour & twist & turn them. Love that your sister's granddaughter asked that you make her wedding dress, as she must be bowled over by those dolls clothes, which are cute. Must make my doll some new clothes, but she is over 60 now & deserves some. Have a good week & take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Rest and Refreshing blocks are some that I have saved for future use. I like the new design they have that will start soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. They make my day ;-)